Sunday 7 November 2010

Sunday 7th October - Weekend runs-You can't beat them!

Saturday - I revisited Ossy moors for my well known run.
We've had lots of rain all week so I was expecting plenty of boggy ground. To be honest it was pretty good running weather. Full sun and pretty cold, about 6 degrees.
I always find the start of this run pretty tough.
The first few minutes are all uphill, the hill isn't overly tough, but straight away you go uphill, no warm up = tough!
The rest of the run was great. Usual run out to the far hill, passed a group of walkers, usual pleasantries, they did look new to the hills though.
Made it to the top of the far hill, near 13 stone hill in about 19 mins - slightly quicker than normal speed.
Turn at the top and back the way I came.
At one of the crossing points on the Rossendale Way I came across the group of walkers who had gone off track - pointed them in the right way and carried on.
At the style at the Priestenax point I turned left down the track, passed the old quarry, across the road and up the hill opposite. Felt good going up here.
Turned at the top back up the track, left at the fence and down into the big dip.
Straight up the other side, where again I met the walkers - tired after the long climb out I had to carry on running, you just have to and away I went.
Followed the route out to the point where the Rossendale Way drops down to the Grane road.
At this point the dark black clouds were rolling in, I made the decision to turn around and head back to the car park.
Before I got back to the car I ran back up the first hill, straight to the top - no problem!
Amazing difference compared to the first part of the run.
Got back to the car and within 30 seconds the rains came down - torrential!!
Great run, would have loved to have gone out to Musburry heights, but there was a lot of rain!
Watch says 63 mins, Avg HR 138, Max HR 157, Cals 674

That afternoon Nick ran the Shepherds Skyline fell race.
The winner was Ian Holmes in 40.26
Nick came a creditable 189th out of 281 runners in 64.10.

Sunday -
We walked with friends who are dog sitting along the canal, from Ossy to Clayton, about an hours walk.
I've never been to the canal - for a change it was great, but, I do like hills!
After an hour I turned and ran back to the car, the plan to pick up the car drive to Clayton and drive them all home.
Started off steady and built up.
Watch says - 23 mins, Avg HR 147, Max HR 157, cals 292.
I have a cunning plan to measure out how far it is to Skipton following the canal path and run home from there. It looks, after initial glances to be 20+ miles. We'll do this over the next holidays.
Evening - Bike session.
Tension set at 30. High tempo, 90+ revs a minute.
Watch says - 45 mins, Avg HR 118, Max HR 132, cals 368.

Overall a great weekend of runs and exercise - Weather is due to be bad again from Monday, runs at night are looking iffy, but we'll see. I'll start the BW exercise routine Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here -