Friday 4 March 2011

Home made sports drinks

During a few recent workouts, in particular runs, I've had a few sensations of light headedness.
Looking back I know I didn't hydrate enough before, during and after the runs.
I've looked a few times at making my own sports drinks.
There are a few out there on the web, but it's taken me a while to find drinks where you add salt.
I am prone to muscle cramps, (after exercise) so salt is a necessity for me.

Anyway, this week I made my own sports drink and suffered no ill effects at all and actually felt good during and after exercise. The recipe for the drink is:
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 9 tbs. Sugar
  • 3/8 tsp Salt
  • Water to 2 litres
Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces):
  • 14.4 grams carb (6.1%)
  • 104 mg sodium
  • 28.4 mg Potassium
(you could substitute 2 tbs. of lemon juice for the orange juice and it would come out the same - or at least close).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here -