Sunday 19 June 2011

Hameldon Hill not once, twice, but thrice!

Had a fantastic run on Saturday.
Needed a bit of time to think, so I decided to run the Hameldon Hill race route.
I've mentioned before that I've upped my miles and time on my feet recently.
The race route is 6 miles long and 1100ft of climbing.
I followed the route out making the climb up Hameldon feeling good.
The run from the trig was pacey but not too quick.
On reaching the style at the bottom, I decided to head off towards the 'golf ball' a weather station on the moors.
At the weather station I headed back towards Hameldon Hill.
The track was damp to say the least with all the rain, it was like running through a waterfall at times!
There is a great little climb there, not too long or too steep, but one where if you run hard you feel knackered at the top.
The route then takes you along the top of Hameldon Scouts.
View from Hameldon Scouts
Here there is a different route up Hameldon, however I was at this point in my own dream world and missed it. Quarter of a mile later I realised and ran uphill back to the correct route.
For the second time running up Hameldon to the trig point and followed the race route off.
After dropping off 'mole side' I turned off through the fields towards the disused quarries again heading towards Hameldon Scouts, but this time from a different direction.
For the third time I ran to the trig on Hameldon hill knowing this time I was heading home.
Hameldon Trig - very wet at the moment!
The last few miles were still relatively easy and I was feeling good.
Coming off through the 'Coppice' I passed a runner warming up.
"Been to the top?" he asked.
What a good feeling to reply with yes ... three times!
13 miles, 2000ft of climbing 2 hours 10 minutes
Cracking run!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here -