Sunday 11 December 2011

Injury!

After a steady to good week of running, bike, body weight exercises etc I thought I would cap the week off with a steady 8 mile run from Clough Head car park, through the woods over looking the reservoirs, up to Musberry heights etc adding on climbs, sections as and where I fancied.
The weather was pretty rough, hailstone and rain for the majority of the time I was out. Also due the recent torrential down pours the ground was in places completely water logged.
After 5 miles of wading through tracks that were now mini streams I headed for home.
I followed the Rosendale Way back, taking it nice and steady. I knew the ground under foot was potentially very slippy and took a few detours across moorland.
Back on the Rossendale Way, I took about 3 steps and whallop.
My legs ended up above my head and I came down to earth with one almighty bump!
At the time I remember thinking how painful the fall was. I looked down to see a jagged rock sticking up that my hand had hit.
The amazing thing is, when you fall, you jump up really quickly.
I set off back to the car thinking that the pain would go away. It didn't!
2 miles later I got back to the car, drove home, showered.
The pain got worse. So off to the hospital.
4 hours later, I left in pot being told I had broken my scaphoid bone at the base of my thumb.
I had to return 11 days later to re check.

This is the section of the Rossendale Way where I fell. The difference being this was thick with water and hail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here -