Sunday 31 July 2011

Tough speed session

Got a text from Dave this am asking if I was running today and of course yes was the answer.
Dave was keen to run Hameldon again, but wanted to see what sort of time he could set.
I got to the car park early, prepared to do a simple warm up, but got carried away listening to the cricket, so by the time Dave turned up, off we went.
The initial climb through the Coppice was tough, but I did feel OK, although surprised at the time, it did feel we were going quicker, but that's always the case.
The run was going well, until I got to Mole Side, a steep hill, 1.5 miles into the run.
Going up, my left calf was sore and tight, so took the climb steady.
I waited for Dave to catch up for about a minute and off we went again.
The next section of the run is still up hill, but not steep, so I picked up the pace again.
This was the case until the climb up Hameldon.
Again my calf was tight, so I took it steady, but still managed to get to the trig in 31 minutes.
I decided to wait for Dave, just to make sure he was OK.
4 minutes later we set off again.
This is my favourite part of the route, because you can hammer the downhill section.
I ran hard for the remainder of the run, doing the route home in 17 minutes 30 seconds, 12 minutes 30 quicker the run out.
Total time for the run was 52 minutes 30 seconds, but I did wait for a minute at Mole side and 4 minutes at the trig.
I reckon I could have done the run in about 48 - 49 minutes.
That time would have got me in the top 50 for last years race.
Pleased with that!
Just need to make sure my calf is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here -