Saturday 30 July 2011

More Hameldon

It's been a good week of running so far.
The weather has been great, full sun, no wind of any real sort - ideal for running.
I've had four outings so far up and around Hameldon this week about 26 miles so far, not including two badminton sessions and a run planned for tomorrow!
Yesterdays run was tough. Nick and Dave set off 15 minutes before me on the Hameldon race route.
I set off at race ish pace, which was tough after 3 previous consecutive days running up Hameldon.
I thought that I would be able to see them at some point, but no.
I kept pushing hard and as I started the run along the bottom of Hameldon, I got my first sight of them virtually at the top of the hill. When I saw them stop at the top, I checked my watch and pushed on.
As I got to the top I checked my watch again to see I was about 3 minutes behind them, in other words over 3 miles I'd made up 12 minutes, about 4 minutes a mile!
At the trig I was pretty tired, where as they were still fresh.
Coming off Hameldon we took the route out to the 'Golf Ball' and then doubled back towards Hameldon.
At the bottom of the quarry, there is a perfect climb back up to the ridge of Hameldon scouts.
The climb isn't too long or steep to really drain you, but is a real test.
We followed the crest round to the bottom of Hameldon and up we went again.
Half way up my left calf was pretty tight so I resorted to a fast walk, rather than risk injury through running.
A quick rest at the trig and off we went again.
The run home was pretty steady, I did push it up the last climb before pushing again on the final run off.
About 8 miles, twice up Hameldon, 1,500 ft of climbing in about 90 minutes.
It's good to be running again!
Roll on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here -